Restoration & Renovation, Commercial and Institutional
On the Right Track
Restoration & Renovation
Winner: ZGF Architects, Seattle, WA
Project: King Street Station, Seattle, WA
Restoration & Renovation
Winner: Duncan G. Stroik Architect, LLC, South Bend, IN
Project: Cathedral of St. Joseph, Sioux Falls, SD
Open to All
Restoration & Renovation
Winner: John G. Waite Associates, Albany, NY
Project: African Meeting House, Boston, MA
In 1909, Alfred I. duPont commissioned Carrère and Hastings to build a stunning 47,000-sq.ft. mansion for himself and his second wife, Alicia, in Wilmington, DE.
From Night to Day
The "Father of American Architecture," Benjamin Henry Latrobe, is widely known for his work on the United States Capitol. Though it was not entirely his design, from 1803 to 1817 he served as Surveyor of Public Buildings of the United States, designing the interiors and overseeing construction of the iconic building. Simultaneously, Latrobe had an equally noteworthy project in Baltimore, to design the first Catholic Cathedral in the U.S. The Basilica of the National Shrine of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary, also known as the Baltimore Cathedral, was built from 1806 to 1821.
Though its earthquakes are rarely of the magnitudes that make headlines, the state of Utah is a seismically active area. Since 1850, an estimated 35 “events” have occurred in the region, and while they follow no pattern, geological surveys of Utah suggest that those of magnitude 6.5-7.5 occur, on average, once every 50 to 150 years; magnitude 5-6.5 once every 10 to 50 years; and magnitude 5.0 every four years. History has taught us to fear strong earthquakes, the kinds that periodically reduce cities to rubble in a matter of minutes, and with such brutality that they were once believed to be the wrath of an angry god. However, the damage inflicted on structures by smaller seismic shifts is still considerable, if less dramatic, not least because it impedes their ability to withstand “the big one,” whenever it may next arrive. And as we can no more predict an earthquake than prevent one, it pays to assume the worst.
One Saturday in 2006, architect Bill Borgognoni was approached by a man as he observed the construction of the new clock tower atop Union Station in downtown Springfield, IL. Borgognoni, unbeknownst to the man, was the principal in charge of the restoration and rehabilitation of the turn-of-the-century structure for Carbondale, IL-based White & Borgognoni Architects. "Isn't it great they're fixing up the train station?" said the man, a native of Springfield who was heading across the street to the recently opened Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum (ALPLM). "But, you know, they really messed it up by putting that tower on it – it was never there when I was a kid."
It has been called "that noblest of Washington buildings" (Walt Whitman, 1863) and "an expression of America's creative genius and technical superiority" (historian Charles J. Robertson, 2006). The 1830s temple at 8th and F Streets NW in Washington, DC, has gone through phases as the U.S. Patent Office, a "museum of curiosities," the headquarters of the Department of the Interior and Civil Service Commission and, for a few years, as a Civil War hospital. Today, as the Donald W. Reynolds Center for American Art and Portraiture, it is the city's finest Neoclassical museum. Its recently completed restoration and renovation, led by Washington, DC-based Hartman-Cox Architects, has set a new national standard for resourceful preservation – no small feat in a two-block-square building that has been shaped by half-a-dozen architecture firms over the past 170 years.
Designed by Wilder & White of New York City and built between 1922 and 1928, the Washington State Legislative Building in Olympia, WA, has been described by Henry Russell Hitchcock as the "climax" of the American Renaissance of state capitol construction. It sits on a hilltop overlooking the southern tip of Puget Sound and the Olympic Mountains and is said to be the state capitol that is closest in design to the U.S. Capitol in Washington, DC.
Restoration & Renovation, Residential
Together, Rynerson & O'Brien Architecture and Paul Duchscherer bring the historic McDonald Mansion in Santa Rosa, CA, back from the brink.
John Milner Architects revives Philadelphia's historic Jayne House for 21st-century living while carefully respecting its architectural heritage.
For the latest in a long line of projects in Greenwich, CT, Hilton-VanderHorn Architects renovates existing structures and creates new garden spaces based on French Country precedents.
A sprawling 1885 estate in North Haven, NY, is returned to its original residential use by James Merrell Architects.
Twixt Sea and Lake
A 1970s French-inspired waterfront estate in Palm Beach, FL, undergoes a comprehensive renovation devised by New York City-based Fairfax & Sammons Architects.
Andrea Pacciani Architect combines northern Italian and Palladian precedents with contemporary touches to revive an 1850s villa near Parma, Italy.
New York City-based BKSK Architects' restoration of a mid-1800s residence in the Riverdale Historic District of the Bronx, NY, returns the house to its late-19th-century, High Victorian appearance.
Legacy of the Past
Following a devastating fire in January 2004, an historic Mediterranean Revival residence near Madison, WI, has been restored and rehabilitated under the direction of Isthmus Architecture, Inc
New Design & Construction, Commercial and Institutional
Two for One
New Design & Construction - more than 30,000 sq.ft.
Winner: Tsoi/Kobus & Associates, Cambridge, MA
Project: Stokes Hall, Boston College, Chestnut Hill, MA
New Design & Construction - less than 30,000 sq.ft.
Winner: Archer & Buchanan Architecture, Ltd., West Chester, PA
Project: Rathburn Hall, Grove City College, Grove City, PA
New Construction, more than 30,000 sq.ft.
Winner: Richard M. Economakis, South Bend, IN
Project: Civic Hall, Cayalá City, Guatemala
New Construction, less than 30,000 sq.ft
Winner: Neumann Lewis Buchanan Architects, Middleburg, VA
Project: RdV Vineyards Winery, Delaplane, VA
New Construction, more than 30,000 sq.ft.
Winner: HBRA Architects, Chicago, IL
Project: Federal Building and Courthouse, Tuscaloosa, AL
New Construction, less than 30,000 sq.ft.
Winner: Robert A.M. Stern Architects, New York, NY
Project: Our Lady of Mercy Chapel, Salve Regina University, Newport, RI
On the subject of American church architecture, few critics speak with the authority of Denis McNamara, assistant director at the Liturgical Institute of the University of St. Mary of the Lake, liturgical design consultant and author of three best-selling books on church architecture. So it was high praise indeed when McNamara said in an April 2009 review of the Chapel of Our Lady of the Most Holy Trinity that "no Classical Catholic church building of this quality has been built since the second Vatican Council, nor perhaps for decades before that.".
The idea behind the new Carole Weinstein International Center at the University of Richmond, Richmond, VA, was that the building should blend in with the historic Collegiate Gothic campus, but it should also be distinctive. The goal was to create a major center to reflect the university's important and growing international activities and to bring together related programs under one roof. Because of its work in traditional architecture, the university selected the firm of Glavé & Holmes Architecture to take on this task.
The campus of the College of William & Mary, America's second-oldest seat of higher learning, is defined by its distinctive red-brick Colonial buildings that speak to the country's storied lineage and history.
A growing student body along with a desire to return to their architectural roots prompted The Hotchkiss School in Lakeville, CT, to turn to Robert A.M. Stern Architects to design two new Georgian-style residence halls for the historic campus. Founded in the 1890s as a school to prepare young men for Yale University, the school has grown to almost 600 students, half men and half women. In addition, the original 65-acre campus has expanded to 545 acres overlooking the Berkshires, prompting The Nature Conservancy to call it one of the 200 "Last Great Places."
The city of St. Louis’ transformation into the “Gateway to the West” began in the early 19th century. In 1803, when Robert Livingston orchestrated the Louisiana Purchase, little was known about the vast territory west of the Mississippi River that included present-day Missouri, Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska, Arkansas and Iowa and parts of North and South Dakota, Minnesota, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, New Mexico and Louisiana. To explore and map the approximately 900,000-sq.mi area, President Thomas Jefferson enlisted Meriwether Lewis and William Clark, who officially set out in May 1804 at the confluence of the Mississippi and Missouri rivers, just north of St. Louis. A few decades later, migrants would begin setting out in droves from the St. Louis area to settle the western territories. Today, the city’s most iconic structure, Eero Saarinen’s Gateway Arch (1965), commands the Jefferson National Expansion Memorial, a downtown park commemorating the westward expansion of the U.S.
Drive a bit east of Paris, France, (or take a 45-minute metro ride) and you arrive at the town of Val d'Europe, home of Euro Disney and Place de Toscane, a new mixed-use traditionally styled development built on what was formerly an empty lot in the heart of the town.
Designing a 24,000-sq.ft. Math & Science Center for a bucolic Georgian-style campus in upstate New York is one thing. Designing the structure to achieve LEED Gold certification is another thing entirely. Or is it? Actually the two goals work well together, according to Voith & Mactavish principal in charge Daniela Voith, AIA, LEED AP. “Millbrook has stewardship of the environment as part of its mission statement, but the school had never done a LEED-certified building,” she says. “They felt that at this point the school should take an active statement toward sustainability. They wanted to build the most environmentally responsible building they could and to use it as a teaching tool.”
Full Court Press
In 1993, a group of architects, planners, developers and educators with common ideas on neighborhood building and urban planning came together for the first annual Congress for the New Urbanism (CNU). The goal was simple – to counter urban sprawl and decay, and to restore the vitality of the built environment through the preservation and development of diverse neighborhoods and districts. Since then, the CNU has grown to more than 3,100 members and today, there are more than 210 New Urbanist developments under construction or completed in the United States.
Shift of Axis
When the trustees of Rhodes College, a small liberal arts campus in Memphis, TN, realized they needed a new library, they faced a number of challenges. First, they knew that the new building would have to reflect the Collegiate Gothic style of the campus as originally designed by Charles Klauder in 1925, and as mandated by the school's founding president and board of directors. They also knew that it had to both fit into a carefully thought-out master plan and facilitate a complex program. With a long list of requirements for their traditionally styled building, they turned to Hanbury Evans Wright Vlattas + Company of Norfolk VA, a firm that had completed numerous other projects on the campus, including the most recent master plan. Boston, MA-based Shepley Bulfinch Richardson & Abbott, known for its library design expertise, collaborated on the project.
Gateway to the Past
When Rollins College sought to transform the nondescript main entrance of its Winter Park, FL, campus into a more formal public face for the school, it turned to Coral Gables, FL-based Chael, Cooper & Associates. The resulting McKean Gateway and Rinker Building both reflect the college's predominant Spanish-Mediterranean architecture and realize its long-standing desire for a formal entrance to its campus.
New Design & Construction, Residential
A residence by Michael G. Imber Architects begins a new family legacy in the hills of Austin, TX.
A new summer home by David Jones Architects responds to the elements on Cape Cod National Shore.
Georgian of Today
A new home from J. Lawton Thies Architects is a welcome addition to the Meyers Park neighborhood of Charlotte, NC.
Don B. McDonald Architect's Harvey Ranch House in Industry, TX, pays homage to the building traditions of central Texas.
Designed by Sachs Lindores, a new Shingle Style residence in Rhode Island evokes the 19th-century aesthetic of McKim, Mead & White while accommodating a modern mix of formal and family spaces.
Building for the Inevitable
The Beachtown House in Galveston, TX, by Michael G. Imber, Architects, is built to withstand the destructive forces of nature while adhering to the principles of sustainability.
A new house in Seaside, FL, by Braulio Casas Architects features a four-story tower and is inspired by English and Carpenter Gothic traditions.
Ferguson & Shamamian Architects designs a three-story, seven-bedroom, Colonial-style residence in Westport, CT, for a large family.
Though more Classical in style, an 1,800-sq.ft. pool pavilion in Greenwich, CT, by New York City based John B. Murray Architects complements the main house at historic Khakum Wood.
G. P. Schafer Architect of New York City designs a new home for a family seeking an East Coast getaway that fits seamlessly with the historical architecture of New York's Hudson Valley.
Neumann Lewis Buchanan Architects imagines the evolution of an 18th-century farmhouse on a historic West Virginia site, utilizing period-accurate materials, craftsmanship and detailing.
On the Waterfront
David Jones Architects makes an architectural statement with the design of a Shingle Style-inspired oceanfront home in Dewey Beach, DE.
Rooms with a View
Boston, MA-based Albert, Righter & Tittmann's design of a summer house in Northeast Harbor, ME, draws inspiration from rustic camps and the seaside traditions of Mt. Desert Island.
Drawing on Roman and Palladian precedents, New York City-based Christine G.H. Franck designs a 3,500-sq.ft., two-story-porticoed residence in coastal North Carolina.
The 600-sq.ft. "Hobbit House" in Chester County, PA, designed by West Chester, PA-based Archer & Buchanan Architecture, serves as a museum for a collection of J.R.R. Tolkien memorabilia.
A 7,500-sq.ft., English-style, brick-and-slate residence in Chevy Chase, MD, designed by David Jones Architects, sits distinctly on a triangular-shaped lot while fitting in with its Colonial Revival and Tudor-style neighbors.
Historical Concepts’ design of an intimate, 1,140-sq.ft. guest cottage in Spring Island, SC, freshly interprets the Greek temple form. It also relates to the main house – a previous Historical Concepts’ design – yet is distinct enough to stand on its own.
An early-20th-century landmark church in the Capitol Hill neighborhood of Seattle, WA, is re-imagined for residential use by Runberg Architecture Group.
Weight of History
A new seven-story, mixed-use building in the NoLita neighborhood of New York City by Roman and Williams Buildings and Interiors utilizes traditional construction methods.
Attention to Detail
Drawing inspiration from surrounding homes built between 1880 and 1910, Gardiner Larson of New Canaan, CT, redevelops three lots in Greenwich's Fourth Ward historic district as Victoria Commons.
With the first phase of the Almeria Row townhouses, de la Guardia Victoria Architects & Urbanists creates a sustainable alternative to the mid- and high-rise apartment buildings of downtown Coral Gables, FL.
Then and Now
Seventy-five years after initial construction began, the Hartman-Cox Architects, LLP-designed 300,000-sq.ft. addition to the Art Deco Kennedy-Warren apartment building in Washington, DC, finally realizes the original design of architect Joseph Younger.
Adaptive Reuse and Sympathetic Additions, Commercial and Institutional
Architectural Organ Case
Winner: Duncan G. Stroik Architect, LLC, South Bend, IN
Project: Organ Case, Cathedral of Saint Paul, St. Paul, MN
Resuscitating an Iconic Barn
Adpative Reuse/Sympathetic Addition
Winner: Voith & Mactavish Architects, LLP, Philadelphia, PA
Project: The Barn student center, Millbrook School, Millbrook, NY
Theater Sings Its Own Tune
Winner: Moody•Nolan, Indianapolis, IN, and Cripe Design, Elkhart, IN
Project: Lerner Theatre Expansion and Rehabilitation, Elkhart, IN
Saved from the Brink
Winner: Treanor Architects, Kansas City, MO
Project: The Eisenhower Ridge Building 19, Dwight D. Eisenhower Veterans Affairs Medical Center Campus, Leavenworth, KS
A Storied Steeple
When the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist, an architectural icon in historic Charleston, SC, celebrated its centennial, the Diocese of Charleston decided to top off the celebration by erecting a steeple. For a century, the Gothic Revival brownstone cathedral, which was completed in 1907, had stood sans steeple on Broad Street, which is also home to City Hall, the County Courthouse and St. Michael's Church. It was always intended to have a heavenly spire that inspired, but time and money took their toll, and somehow the project never got off the ground.
Saint Paul's Episcopal Church in Indianapolis, IN, has always taken pride in its ability to adapt to changing times. In 1866, the founders of Saint Paul's separated from Christ Church to build a cathedral-like structure in downtown Indianapolis. It prospered for 70 years, but as the congregation dwindled in the late 1940s, the parish decided that the large church no longer served its mission. A new Gothic-style church was built several miles north of the original site in what was then considered the "country." The new location, at the bend of North Meridian Street, was much closer to residential neighborhoods, allowing parish members to walk to church.
Saving the Barns
The Old Dairy complex, built in 1928 in Warm Springs, VA, was once Bath County’s only commercial dairy, serving the community and a nearby nationally known resort, The Homestead, for more than 40 years. Although the community regarded the complex as an icon, it was subsequently abandoned and fell into a severe state of disrepair. Now at the heart of Homestead Preserve, a 2,300-acre residential resort community, the Old Dairy complex has been fully restored to serve its local residents as a community center.
Temple in the Hill
One of America's most venerable buildings, the Virginia Capitol in Richmond, VA, was designed by Thomas Jefferson and completed in 1789. Jefferson used the Maison Carrée, an ancient Roman temple in southern France as a model for the structure, making it the first public building in the country to use the Classical vocabulary to express the new American democracy. It was also the first major public building to be constructed in the U.S. following the signing of the Declaration of Independence.
"Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten." So read a sign on the showroom floor of the Atlantic Motor Company car dealership at 1840 West Broad Street in Richmond, VA, before the building was vacated in the mid 1980s. This motto, once descriptive of the dealership's automobiles, may be applied to the rehabilitation of the building as well. In 2004, Richmond-based Commonwealth Architects set out to transform the dilapidated two-story former dealership into retail and office space.
Now the Bell Tolls
The Sacred Heart Church in Dallas, TX, now the Cathedral Santuario de Guadalupe, was designed in the 1880s by noted Galveston, TX, architect Nicholas J. Clayton with tall towers on the south façade. It was completed in 1902, but the spires were not built at that time, presumably for financial reasons. The bases were there, but they were capped with simple wood-framed hipped roofs.
Adaptive Reuse and Sympathetic Additions, Residential
Peter Zimmerman Architects renovates and expands an English Arts and Crafts home on Philadelphia's Main Line.
Architectural Resource's addition to an 1860s brick Italianate in Dexter, MI, reflects the character of the original structure.
Grandberg & Associates Architects' expansion of a 1920s house in Westport, CT, doubles the footprint of Walter Bradnee Kirby's original design to accommodate a family of five.
Utilizing local materials, Michael G. Imber, Architects, doubles the size of a 1940s ranch in south-central Texas.
The expansion and renovation of a Virginia farmhouse by Bethesda, MD-based Rill & Decker Architects respects the late-1800s stone structure while maximizing views of the surrounding countryside.
Ferguson & Shamamian Architects’ addition to a cottage in Fairfield, CT, doubles the square footage of the original structure while remaining faithful to the existing interior and exterior vocabulary.
Classicism in the City
Zivkovic Associates Architects of New York, NY, and John Simpson & Partners of London, England, combine to create a Classical addition to the Horace Trumbauer-designed Carhart Mansion on Manhattan's Upper East Side.
Peter Zimmerman Architects’ design of multiple additions to a farmhouse in Chester County, PA, adds 7,300 sq.ft. to the relatively small stone structure while retaining the scale and proportion of its 18th-century core.
Public Spaces--Parks, Plazas, Gardens and Streetscapes
A Walk in the Sun
From the moment Miami, FL-based Duany, Plater-Zyberk (DPZ) completed the master plan for Alys Beach, FL, in 2003, expectations for this resort town were extraordinarily high. Its high profile New Urbanist predecessors Seaside, Rosemary Beach and WaterColor had set the bar in terms of beauty, walkability and sustainability, and Alys' site – 158 acres on the last available beachfront property on the Panhandle, along highway 30A – had the potential to surpass them all.
Pool of Radiance
A history-redolent yet unprecedented pool complex has risen at the edge of a resort town near Panama City, on Florida’s Panhandle. For the second consecutive year, a building at this resort, Alys Beach, has won a Palladio Award. Both winners were designed by the town architects, Khoury & Vogt Architects (KVA). The principals, Marieanne Khoury-Vogt and Erik Vogt, have been helping build out Alys Beach since Miami-based Duany Plater-Zyberk & Company finalized the community’s New Urbanist master plan in 2003. DPZ has envisioned a 158-acre mixture of radiating streets, parks and parkways, criss-crossed by pedestrian paths and sleepy lanes.
Ground at a downtown Atlanta, GA, brownfield is slated to be broken this summer for the nation's largest Classical monument since Jefferson's domed colonnade opened on the Washington Mall in 1943. At the Atlanta ensemble, called the Millennium Gate, two bronze Greek goddesses already rest on pylons. Between them will soon rise a limestone arch and four allegorical bronze figures with iconography summarizing the past 2,000 years of human aspiration and peaceable achievement.
Exterior Spaces, Residential
Doyle Herman Design Associates designs three acres of garden rooms that complement and enhance a Georgian Revival residence in Greenwich, CT.
Parker Design Associates re-imagines and transforms the landscape of Turkey Hill Farm in Millbrook, NY.
James Doyle Design Associates rejuvenates an eight-acre Greenwich, CT, property – while respecting its 1800s farmhouse, barn and guest cottage – through a series of terraced gardens, plantings and hardscaping.
Home and Leisure
A new pool-house complex by David Scott Parker Architects complements a Georgian Revival residence in Massachusetts.
Richard Anderson Landscape Architect creates the landscape plan for an English Renaissance- inspired house in Atlanta, GA.
The grounds of Old Mill Farm in Greenwich, CT, are re-imagined by Greenwich-based James Doyle Design Associates to pay homage to the history of the property and complement its 1920s Elizabethan-inspired Tudor mansion.
Inspired by the English Arts and Crafts style, Wadia Associates principal Dinyar Wadia creates a tranquil oasis of flowers, herbs, mature trees and a manmade brook garden at his New Canaan, CT, home.
Use this tool to search for specific individuals, architectural firms, and|