Traditional Building Portfolio
Commercial and Institutional Projects

Renovation, Commercial and Institutional

  • Linking Past, Present and Future
    John Canning Studios won a Bulfinch Award from the New England Chapter of the Institute of Classical Architecture & Art for its work at St. Patrick’s Cathedral in Norwich, CT.

    A Winning Design
    Architects Murphy + Graves + Trimble, PLLC, renovated the Cathedral of Christ the King in Lexington, KY, and also designed a new sympathetic addition.

    Bigger, Better and Sustainable Too
    Following a disastrous fire, Peter Gisolfi Associates led the restoration and renovation of the 1903 Neoclassical Goodhue Memorial Hall at the Hackley School in Tarrytown, NY.

    Historic Courthouse Goes Green
    A new HVAC system in the historic Beaux-Arts Muscatine County Courthouse is helping this county in Iowa reduce energy costs.

    Tradition Triumphs
    The Blessed Sacrament Cathedral in Greensburg, PA, has returned to its traditional roots in a renovation led by Celli-Flynn Brennan Architects and EverGreene Architectural Arts.

    More Than a Dining Hall
    The renovation and additions to the Horace Dutton Taft Dining Hall at The Taft School in Watertown, CT, bring Bertram Goodhue's Collegiate Gothic building into a new age.

    The Wright Solution
    Frank Lloyd Wright's historic Park Inn Hotel in Mason City, IA, is back in business, thanks to a restoration and renovation by Bergland + Cram.

    Theater Sings Its Own Tune
    The 1924 Lerner Theatre in Elkhart, IN, has been restored by Cripe Design and Moody|Nolan and also has an addition that mimics the Neoclassical façade of the original building.

    An Enduring Legacy
    Designed by Louis Kahn, the Trenton Bath House and Day Camp in the Trenton Jewish Community Center, Trenton, NJ, has been restored by Mills + Schnoering Architects.

    A Temple Rises Again
    The Baptist Temple has been restored and adapted as a Performing Arts Center in Philadelphia, thanks to a renovation by RMJM/Hillier and structural engineers from Keast & Hood Co.

    A Nourishing Tradition
    The restoration and renovation of the historic St. Andrew's Episcopal Church in Ann Arbor, MI, by Quinn Evans Architects included the addition of a new slate roof.

    Good Neighbor
    When transforming an 1859 residence into The Welcome & Admissions Center at Roger H. Perry Hall at Champlain College in Burlington, VT, Goody Clancy blended the old with the new.

    Heavy Lifting
    A derelict 1906 Arts-and-Crafts boarding house is now a luxury boutique hotel, thanks to a restoration and sympathetic addition by Bushman Dreyfus Architects.

    Adding to History
    When adding to Rouss Hall at the University of Virginia Business School in Charlottesville, VA, Hartman-Cox followed in the footsteps of Thomas Jefferson and Stanford White.

    Updating Gothic Revival
    The Gothic Revival-style Freemason Street Baptist Church in Norfolk, VA, turned to Hanbury Evans Wright Vlattas + Company for restoration and a sympathetic addition.

    Adding to History
    When adding to Rouss Hall at the University of Virginia Business School in Charlottesville, VA, Hartman-Cox followed in the footsteps of Thomas Jefferson and Stanford White.

    Silk Purse
    A small pink single-story concrete-block building in Darien, CT, now looks like Monticello, thanks to Classical directions from architect Sheldon Richard Kostelecky.

    Hands-On Preservation
    Kise Straw & Kolodner led the adaptive reuse of Philadelphia's Memorial Hall in Fairmount Park – a relic of the city's Centennial Exhibition – as the new Please Touch Museum for children. By Eve M. Kahn

    Stable Condition
    Mesick Cohen Wilson Baker Architects transforms Victorian quarters for horses and carriages into university classrooms and labs at Salve Regina University in Newport, RI.

    A Million to One
    The 1,000,000-sq.ft. Lazarus building, a former department store in downtown Columbus, OH, has been revived by Elkus Manfredi Architects and Schooley Caldwell Associates as a mixed-use (LEED-CS gold certification) structure.

    Rose-Tinted Vision
    Consigli Construction worked with architects Amsler Mashek MacLean and Architerra, both of Boston, MA, to dismantle and move the historic Granite Building in Milford, MA, to form part of its new headquarters.

    Order in the Court
    The Giles County Courthouse in Pearisburg, VA, is back in business with its historic fabric restored and its disabled access improved, thanks to a restoration led by HDH Associates of Christiansburg, VA.

    Lion House Roars Back
    Formerly a home for felines, the Neoclassical Astor Court and Lion House at the Bronx Zoo have been restored and adapted into a museum; the restoration was directed by FXFOWLE and Building Conservation Associates, both of New York City.

    Duke Divinity
    Hartman-Cox Architects, LLC, designs a new addition, including classrooms, offices and a chapel, for the Divinity School at Duke University in Durham, NC.

    A New Leaf
    Hanbury Evans Wright Vlattas + Company re-imagines a former tobacco warehouse in South Boston, VA, as the Prizery Community Arts Center, sparking the revitalization of the South Boston Historic Tobacco Warehouse District.

    Reclaiming the Waterfront
    Urban Design Associates' Waterfront Master Plan for the city of Cincinnati, OH, involves siting two professional sports stadiums, accommodating public transit and reconnecting the Ohio River waterfront with the city's downtown.

    Superior Court
    The U.S. Post Office and Courthouse in Brooklyn, NY, has a new lease on life thanks to an effort led by R.M. Kliment & Frances Halsband Architects of New York City.

    Righteous Reuse
    Thanks to indie singer/songwriter Ani DiFranco and Flynn Battaglia Architects of Buffalo, NY, an 1870s Methodist church in Buffalo that was slated for demolition in the 1990s has been adapted for use as a performing arts center.

    Main Street Revitalization: St. Croix Survivor
    On the island of St. Croix in the U.S. Virgin Islands, architect William Anglin Taylor directed the effort to bring the historic Sunday Market Square back to its original function as a pedestrian-friendly gathering space, as well as to restore many of its surrounding buildings.

    Main Street Revitalization: Shenandoah Urbanism
    Frazier Associates is leading the restoration of several buildings and streetscapes in its hometown of Staunton, VA, including the transformation of two historic hotels into commercial spaces and an old YMCA into residential lofts.

    Architects' Showplace
    A restoration by Norfolk, VA-based Hanbury Evans Wright Vlattas + Co. has given the Virginia Center for Architecture a new home: a 1919 Tudor Revival mansion originally designed by John Russell Pope. The Richmond, VA, structure now includes a museum, galleries, gift shop and offices and was converted without compromising its historic fabric.

    Civil Service
    Originally the main post office for Atlanta, this 1933 building was named after Martin Luther King Jr. in 1988; Lord, Aeck & Sargent is directing the rehabilitation.

  •  

     

    Use this tool to search for specific individuals, architectural firms, and
    feature topics.
     
     

    www.traditionalbuildingportfolio.com
    Advertising Information | Privacy Policy

    Traditional Building Period Homes Traditional Building Portfolio traditional product galleries traditional product reports
    rexbilt BuildingPort.com Tradweb Traditional Building Conference Palladio Awards

    Copyright 2014. Active Interest Media. All Rights Reserved.