Deep in the Heart of Texas
ARCHITEXAS was the preservation architect for the restoration of the 1910 Beaux-Arts Harris County Courthouse in Houston, TX.
The Path to Enlightenment
Lighting Cass Gilbert's 1912 St. Louis Public Library required the designers to respect the historic appearance of the building while bringing the lighting up to today's standards.
On the Right Track
ZGF Architects of Seattle, WA, led the restoration of the city's historic King Street Station.
St. Stephen's Church in NYC is once again a safe haven, thanks to plaster consolidation and repairs by John Tiedemann Inc. and Historic Plaster Conservation Services.
Victorian Gothic Design
Canning Studios created a Victorian Gothic interior for the Basilica of St. John the Evangelist in Stamford, CT.
Victorian House of Delegates
The Old House of Delegates at the Maryland State House has been re-created back to its 1876 Victorian style by Beyer Blinder Belle.
Happy 250th Birthday
Frank Shirley Architects and Charlie Allen Restorations restored the exterior of Christ Church in Cambridge, MA, for its 250th anniversary.
Duncan G. Stroik Architect brought Emmanuel Louis Masqueray's 1919 Cathedral of Saint Joseph, Sioux Falls, SD, back to life.
The historic sheet-metal façade at what is now known as the Bleecker+Bond Building in downtown Manhattan has been restored by Scott Henson.
A New Chapter
Architect James Thomas restored the historic rooms and added more usable space to the Ames Free Library, one of five H.H. Richardson buildings in North Easton, MA.
Gensler Architects restored the 1926 Julia Ideson Library in Houston, TX, and also designed a new addition.
Boston's African Meeting House has been restored to its 1855 condition by John G. Waite Associates, Architects, and Shawmut Design and Construction.
Preserving Lincoln's Legacy
Lincoln's Cottage in Washington, DC, now once again resembles the structure often used by Lincoln during his presidency, thanks to a restoration by RMJM Hillier.
Eastern Market Rising
After a devastating fire in 2005, Quinn Evans Architects restored the historic Eastern Market in Washington, DC.
Architectural Dimensions of Walnut Creek, CA, led the effort to restore Oakland's great movie palace, the Fox Theater, turning it into a live-music venue.
Around the Clock
Lord, Aeck & Sargent of Atlanta, GA, directed the restoration of the 1904 Coweta County Courthouse in Newnan, GA.
The Idaho State Capitol, Boise, ID, is ready for the new century, thanks to a restoration led by CSHQA, a Professional Association, and Isthmus Architecture, Inc.
Graham and Hyde Architects led the restoration of the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception in Springfield, IL.
Revolutionary-era attendees would be pleased with the restoration of Philadelphia's Christ Church, directed by Frens and Frens.
Franks Brenkwitz & Associates and Page & Turnbull were involved in the restoration of the 200+-year-old Royal Presidio Chapel, Monterey, CA.
Empire Strikes Back
The renovation of New York City's famous Empire State Building is well underway, with the lavish interior lobby now complete.
New Beacon Shines Brightly
The exuberant interior of New York City's historic Beacon Theatre has been restored to its former glory.
Balboa's Long Voyage
The firm of Westlake Reed Leskosky of Phoenix, AZ, has turned an historic rundown cinema into a sought-after performance hall in San Diego, CA.
Going with the Flow
A long-shuttered mineral-water resort, the Quapaw Bathhouse in Hot Springs, AR, has sprung back to life in a restoration led by Taylor/Kempkes, Architects, PA.
Legend of the North Side
Chicago’s Uptown Broadway building, said to be the location of a speakeasy run by Al Capone, has been restored to its former glory under the direction of SPACE Architects + Planners.
The Granada Theatre in downtown Santa Barbara, CA, has been restored to its 1920s splendor by Phillips Metsch Sweeney Moore Architects, Inc., complete with 21st century upgrades.
Righting the Statehouse
Vinci | Hamp Architects of Chicago led the restoration of the Senate and House chambers in the Illinois State Capitol. By Eve M. Kahn
The restoration of the exterior of Milwaukee's City Hall, led by Engberg Anderson, Inc. of Milwaukee with Quinn Evans | Architects, took workers to new heights. By Eve M. Kahn
The Old Montgomery County Courthouse in Dayton, OH, has been restored to its former glory, thanks to efforts led by Schooley Caldwell Associates and Jeff Wray Architects. By Annabel Hsin
A Promise Renewed
Abandoned for several years, the Neoclassical Blodgett Building in Grand Rapids, MI, is now home to the Inner City Christian Federation, thanks to the restoration and adaptive reuse effort led by Cornerstone Architects of Grand Rapids, MI. By Nicole V. Gagné
Historic Double Platinum
When construction management firm Christman Co. realized it was growing out of its current building, it combined forces with SmithGroup to restore an historic building in downtown Lansing, MI, garnering two Platinum LEED certifications in the process. By Martha McDonald
Samyn-D'Elia Architects of Ashland, NH, led the New England community effort to restore North Church, Portsmouth, NH, a skyline-defining tower.
Following a devastating fire, the restoration of St. John the Divine Cathedral in New York City led by Polshek Partnership Architects moves closer to completion.
Church of the Advent, a Boston church with a foresighted Victorian design stayed open through years of thoughtful restoration led by Vance Hosford of West Townshend, VT.
Antunovich Associates restores the Nickerson Mansion/Richard H. Driehaus Museum in Chicago, IL, an eclectic 1883 mansion adapted to a philanthropist's vision.
By the Book
Tappé Associates leads the revival of the venerable 1893 Pequot Library in Southport, CT, originally designed by Robert Henderson Robertson.
The Shows Must Go On
TMS Architects and EverGreene Painting Studios have restored a 130-year-old theater in Portsmouth, NH, unearthing and replicating "exuberant" artwork.
A seven-year restoration of the 1892 Traverse City Opera House in Traverse City, MI, led by Quinn Evans of Ann Arbor, MI, has been a boon to the downtown revival.
The Road to Recovery
The New Hope Diner Project at the Rhode Island Training School in Cranston, RI, is saving young lives as well as old diners.
Arthur Brown's Pasadena City Hall has a new lease on life, along with new earthquake protection, following a $117.5 million seismic overhaul and restoration led by Architectural Resources Group of San Francisco, CA.
The Utah State Capitol is now protected from earthquakes and restored to its historic 1916 condition, thanks to a 10-year effort that included a number of firms working with David Hart, executive director of the Capitol Preservation Board.
James Pratt Architecture/Urban Design's 30-year restoration of "Old Red," an 1892 courthouse in Dallas, TX, reveals the building's long-lost grandeur, as well as some hidden surprises.
Beyer Blinder Belle Architects & Planners LLP orchestrates the restoration of the architecturally eclectic 1929 Temple Emanu-El in New York City.
A British Temple Restored
Nicholas Hawksmoor's 1730 St George's Church in London, U.K., is saved from dereliction, thanks to generous donations and an effort led by Molyneux Kerr Architects
Architect David L. Bittermann of the National Park Service directs the restoration of the 1763 Touro Synagogue in Newport, RI.
An American Treasure
In collaboration with the National Park Service, Einhorn Yaffee Prescott Architecture & Engineering orchestrates the restoration of the 1936 Ferry Building on Ellis Island; the ongoing effort also includes 29 historic hospital buildings on the island's south side.
The Chicago Conservation Center, in conjunction with the Chicago Park District, restores 58 historic murals in 11 of the city's field houses dating from 1900 to the 1930s.
Perched on a hilltop above Los Angeles, CA, Griffith Observatory has undergone a four-year restoration and expansion under the direction a pair of local firms – Pfeiffer Partners and Levin & Associates.
After an extensive restoration led by New York, NY-based Hardy Holzman Pfeiffer Associates (now H3 Hardy Collaboration Architecture), the 1914 Hippodrome Theater in Baltimore, MD, has reopened as part of the France-Merrick Performing Arts Center.
Back in the Loop
The Hampton Majestic Hotel and LaSalle Bank Theatre in Chicago, IL, a 1906 terra-cotta structure and a cornerstone in the revival of the city's loop, has been restored under the direction of Chicago-based Booth Hansen.
The elaborate decorative interior of the historic French Lick Springs Hotel in French Lick, IN, has been restored by New Berlin, WI-based Conrad Schmitt Studios.
Under the direction of Martinez & Johnson Architecture of Washington, DC, and Pryor & Morrow Architects of Columbus, MS, a department store and theater – which had been closed for 80 years – have been reborn as the Riley Center in Meridian, MS.
On the Road Again
After a 16-year restoration led by Springfield, MO-based Butler Rosenbury & Partners, Springfield's 1926 Gillioz Theatre is once again hosting live performances, sparking the revitalization of the city's downtown.
OJP/Architect of Atlanta has been instrumental in restoring Georgia's courthouses, including the 1884 Newton County Courthouse in Covington.
Reopening the Vaults
Following blows dealt by time and the attack on 9/11, a two-year project led by New York, NY-based Einhorn Yaffee Prescott has restored New York City's Federal Hall National Memorial.
The restoration of Chicago's Carson Pirie Scott department store, led by McClier's Preservation Group of Chicago, included the replacement of the building's cornice.
Two Centuries of History
After a two-and-a-half-year restoration led by John G. Waite Architects of Albany, NY, Benjamin Latrobe's 200-year-old Baltimore Basilica, the first Catholic cathedral in the U.S. and a symbol of religious freedom, has been faithfully restored.
Under the direction of Beyer Blinder Belle Architects & Planners of New York, NY, and Washington, DC, the Cathedral of the Blessed Sacrament in Sacramento, CA, has been restored and renovated to meet seismic and ADA standards.
Saving a Synagogue
The Eldridge Street Synagogue, a hybrid Romanesque and Gothic structure built in 1887 on Manhattan's Lower East Side, has been restored to its original majesty by Walter Sedovic Architects of Irvington-on-Hudson, NY.
City of Parks
The Buffalo Olmsted Parks Conservancy, the overseer of the Frederick Law Olmsted-designed park system in Buffalo, NY, is preparing to embark on an ambitious 20-year restoration and maintenance plan.
Under the direction of Chicago, IL-based Johnson Lasky Architects, the historic Animal Bridge in Chicago's Jackson Park has been restored and upgraded to better accommodate modern traffic patterns.
As it approaches its 150th anniversary, the nation's oldest continuously operating opera house, the Philadelphia Academy of Music, continues to be maintained and restored under the direction of Philadelphia-based Vitetta.
Harlen Star Reborn
Thanks to the reconstruction of its Jazz Age façade, Harlem's Apollo Theater once again features an exterior befitting its storied past. Beyer Blinder Belle, Architects and Planners, LLP, of New York, NY, orchestrated the restoration.
Led by Walter B. Melvin Architects, of New York, NY, the six-year, ongoing restoration of The Cloisters, which houses some of the Metropolitan Museum of Art's collection of artifacts from the Middle Ages, has the 1930s structure looking medieval once again.
Today's court tennis players can now enjoy the centuries-old game at the historic court at Georgian Court University in Lakewood, NJ, thanks to a renovation directed by Farewell Mills Gatsch Architects, LLC, of Princeton, NJ.
San Francisco Pavilions Reborn
Carey & Co. of San Francisco has led the restoration of two of the city’s beloved pavilions, the Spreckels Temple of Music and the Palace of Fine Arts.
After years of proposing plans, Quinn Evans | Architects of Ann Arbor, MI, was finally successful in its efforts to restore the 1904 Pere Marquette Depot in Bay City, MI.
Community volunteers were instrumental in the restoration of two historic lighthouses, the St. George Lighthouse on St. George Island, FL, and Southeast Lighthouse on Block Island, RI.
The long abandoned 1799 Danish School building in Frederiksted, St. Croix, VI, has been restored, thanks to a committed community and architect William A. Taylor, AIA.
Built in 1886-87 of large local sea-washed stones, St. Ann's Episcopal Church in Kennebunkport, ME, has been restored, thanks to Theriault/Landmann Associates and Consigli Construction.
A Singing Endorsement
The turtle-shaped Salt Lake Tabernacle once again resonates with music, thanks to a restoration led by FFKR Architects that also included seismic protection.
In Praise of Color and Light
Structural bracing and meticulous restoration directed by Newport Collaborative Architects have brought stability and vibrancy to a mid-century modern church in Portsmouth, RI.
REG Architects led the effort to strip the Palm Beach County Court House of its brick surroundings and return it to its original 1916 condition.
The 3,000-sq.ft. 1892 Gothic Revival-style Old Town Hall in Bloomington, MN, has been restored, thanks to an effort led by Kodet Architectural Group.